Saturday, April 25, 2009

All Things Pattern











I've been totally obsessed with anything patterned lately - so this was a perfectly-timed project I recently worked on with Year 1 students at the school. Again, a bit of art direction (with my youthful clientele!) and an exploration of hand-painted repeat pattern design. The students and I tested out the technique of wheatpasting (something else I've been meaning to try for awhile), and created a mural for an empty wall in the back of the school. Everything was hand-painted on paper, cut into organic shapes, and then glued to the wall.

I think it turned out pretty rad! The students did an awesome job, and even helped to glue everything up - am I encouraging future graffiti artists? I'm also digging how it interacts with the surrounding architecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment