Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Strange Zoo.




















Further adventures in art direction...

This is a wall I worked on with 3 & 4-year-old students! I decided to create sort of a crazy zoo based on some images of African beaded animals I found during research. I'm really big on the idea that children's spaces don't need to be full of primary colors and dumbed-down art. So - our strange zoo once again uses a combination of wheat pasting and acrylic painting. The students helped to paint a variety of geometric shapes to create patterns on paper, which we then used to create our animals. They also helped to paste it up on the wall!

The creatures are halfway imaginary / realistic - but that's half the fun, right?

We used a glue/water mixture instead of a traditional wheat paste, so the glue helps to seal both sides of the paper from rain & other weather conditions as well as adhere the art to the wall. It doesn't last forever, but I guess that's an excuse to repaint?

1 comment:

  1. So sweet!! I will go and check the real site! All the animals look so much fun. Great work :))

    ReplyDelete